Atmel SAM4SP32A: Unprecedented Integration and Performance in a Single-Chip Solution
With an unprecedented level of integration and performance, the Atmel® SAM4SP32A system-on-chip (SoC) solution is the first ARM® Cortex™-M4 processor-based device for the power line communications (PLC) smart metering market. The SAM4SP32A SoC, a pure digital implementation, complies with the latest Power Line Intelligent Metering Evolution (PRIME) PLC specification.
The compact SAM4SP32A merges the advantages of a Cortex-M4 processor-based microcontroller (MCU) with an integrated PLC modem. Take advantage of the powerful Cortex-M4 core, as well as 2MB of dual-bank Flash memory, 160KB SRAM and operating frequency up to 120MHz.
40 Percent Lower Power vs. Competition
The SAM4SP32A delivers exceptional integration, performance and power efficiency. Its integrated low-power amplifier consumes 40 percent less power than competitive devices. With sensitivity up to 34.8db/uV and less than 750mW in transmission, the SAM4SP32A meets the demanding requirements of today’s smart meters.
- Lower system costs and faster time to market due to high level of integration
- Exceptional dynamic range and sensitivity to meet smart meter requirements
- Compact, efficient and low-power solution
- PRIME compliance
- Pure digital implementation
- High-performance 32-bit Cortex-M4 MCU running at up to 120MHz
- 2MB dual-bank Flash
- 160KB SRAM
- Best-in-class PRIME PLC modem
- Peripherals including SPI, TWI, UARTs
- Sensitivity up to 34.8dB/µV
- Dynamic range up to 73.18dB
- Less than 750mW power consumption in transmission
- High-efficiency integrated line driver that consumes 40% less power vs. competitive devices
To help you get a head start on your smart meter design, we will offer the SAM4SP32A evaluation kit in early 2013. The kit comes with two boards, a complete set of software libraries, application examples, a PHY tester, PRIME Network Manager and PC USI test.
Simplify your design process with the Atmel Studio 6 integrated development environment (IDE). Supporting both the Atmel AVR® and Atmel ARM Cortex-M architectures, the Atmel Studio 6 IDE comes with more than 1,500 project examples with source code, as well as programming, editing and debugging tools. For additional design support, be sure to visit our Tips and Tricks playlist of videos on our YouTube channel.