Cooking appliances such as stoves, microwave ovens, and conventional ovens, often require a combination of temperature and mass sensors, programmable timers, and sophisticated motor control for fan and other devices. Some include remote controls, and rich, responsive touch control interfaces are key for ease of use. Atmel® industry leading touch solutions and customizable microcontrollers are ideal for cooking appliances.
Features and Benefits
- Atmel AVR® microcontrollers are available in 105°C versions, as well as models up to 150°C, that are ideal for high temperature cooking requirements.
- Atmel offers a wide range of 8- and 32-bit microcontrollers which are dedicated to motor control, providing support for BLDC motors, AC motors, and switched reluctance motors.
- Atmel provides an IEC 60730 Class B Library to support customers in the certification process, which dramatically speeds time to market.
- Atmel AVR 32-bit microcontrollers feature a multi-layer databus and DMA controller that make them a perfect fit for HMI applications where high bandwidth is required.
- Robust touch sensor technology, featuring the Atmel QTouch® library, lets designers add capacitive touch buttons, sliders and wheels at no additional cost.
- Native 5 volts support is available on the Atmel megaAVR® and Atmel tinyAVR® microcontrollers.
- High integration solutions, such as motor control and HMI touch in a single-chip, help reduce BOM.
- ZigBee PRO compatibility enables standards-compliant connectivity and smart metering.
- Node authentication capability supports smart meter infrastructure connections.
The Atmel QMatrix™ technology provides an extremely robust way to implement buttons and sliders in capacitive touch-technology. Built in support for water rejection makes the QTouch solutions ideal for demanding environments.
[ + ] QTouch Robustness Reference Design
Abstract: This reference design demonstrates a robust capacitive touch user interface solution based on Atmel ATSAMD20 with Peripheral Touch Controller (PTC). The design allows users to easily apply Atmel QTouch technology to achieve best-in-class noise immunity and moisture tolerance in challenging environments with a high level of electromagnetic noise – ideal for harsh environments.
- IEC 61000-4-6 10V Conducted Immunity tolerant QTouch Safety Library
- IEC/UL 60730 Class B certified QTouch Safety Library firmware
- FMEA support
- Six self-capacitance buttons with Philipp™ Spring
- Four mutual-capacitance buttons
- One 8-channel mutual-capacitance slider
[ + ] IEC 60730 Safety Library Reference Design
Abstract: Shortening the development and certification time for application for white goods and appliances, Atmel offers a free certified configurable microcontroller self-diagnostic library for the Atmel AVR and ARM-based microcontroller series. With this library and the application specific test for the customers’ application the Class B certification is in short time and with minimum effort achievable.
- Certified and complies with the EN/IEC 60335 (safety of electrical appliances for household and similar purposes)
- Certified and complies with the EN/IEC 60730 (automatic electrical controls for use with equipment for household and similar use)
- Includes all application independent tests to pass the Class B certification
- The library takes advantage of the safety hardware modules, inclulding hardware CRC32 unit, the Brown Out Detection (BOD) and the independent clocked WatchDog Timer etc.
Learn more about the Atmel solution Application Notes, Devices, and Tools and Software