- Evaluation Kits
- Starter Kits
- Development Kits
- Reference Designs
- Add-ons and Accessories
- Zigbit Wireless Modules
- Corporate Releases
- Product Releases
- Technical News Briefs
- Speakers Bureau
- Atmel in the News
- Embedded Design Blog
- Events and Webcasts
- Press Releases
- Stock Information
- SEC Filings
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Profiles
- Board of Directors
- Building Automation
- Home Appliances
- Home Entertainment
- Industrial Automation
- Human Machine Interface
- PLC and I/O Modules
- Industrial Communications
- Smart Energy
- Mobile Electronics
- PC Peripherals
January 14, 2013Atmel Expands ARM Cortex-M4 based Flash Microcontroller Family With New Advanced Connectivity Peripherals and Floating Point Unit
January 7, 2013New Touch Controllers Enable Flawless User Experience, Even for Users with Gloves On, With Passive Stylus Support for Touchscreens in Smartphones, Superphones, eReaders and Tablets
July 2, 2012Atmel Next-Generation LF RFID Transponder Provides Maximum Flexibility for Consumer and Industrial Identification Applications
A More Connected Industrial Environment
As industrial environments become more advanced and connected, automation technology is developing at a rapid pace. To deliver the communication features and intelligence required at the plant floor and beyond, developers need solutions that can provide:
- High performance together with power efficiency
- Rugged environmental design to resist water, dust, moisture, and extreme temperatures
- Advanced, yet cost effective Human Machine Interface (HMI) features
- Support for high-speed wired and wireless communication
- Dedicated features for functional safety implementation
Flexible, Power-Efficient Solutions
Atmel® offers a wide variety of solutions that are ideal for automating and monitoring industrial processes in a wide range of environments. They provide support for:
- Human Machine Interface — The Human Machine Interface (HMI) includes the electronics required to signal and control the state of industrial automation equipment. These interface products can range from a basic LED status indicator to a 20-inch TFT panel with touchscreen interface. HMI applications require mechanical robustness and resistance to water, dust, moisture, a wide range of temperatures, and, in some environments, secure communication. They should provide Ingress Protection (IP) ratings up to IP65, IP67, and IP68. The unique capacitive Atmel® QTouch technology, Atmel SAM9 microprocessors, and Atmel CryptoAuthentication™ devices enable designers to meet these requirements and more, with an optimized BOM.
- PLC and I/O Modules — PLC systems are highly complex, integrating numerous board modules to cover the multiple needs of modern automated industrial environments.
- Sensors — Industrial sensors include the electronics required to detect, position or identify an object or rotating axis in a factory-automated system. They utilize a variety of technologies, including inductive, magneto-resistive, capacitive, optical, pressure and ultrasonic.
- Instruments — Process instruments include the electronics required to measure process variables, such as temperature, pressure, level and flow, using a variety of sensors and methods. Power consumption in active mode is critical for these products, as most field instruments are powered though a 4-20mA current loop interface, which strongly limits the available power budget for the electronics. Process instruments must often be able to operate in hazardous areas, and cannot buffer energy.
- Industrial Communications — Industrial communications are at the heart of automated systems. Numerous defined standards exist, and these standards continue to grow as new industrial Ethernet protocols emerge. Atmel® microcontrollers provide the peripherals and the internal system architecture required to efficiently interface your product with leading field busses, industrial Ethernet standards, and growing wireless communications.
The Atmel Advantage
Atmel has many years of experience in designing microcontrollers for industrial automation electronic applications. In 1993, we introduced the industry's the first Flash-based C51 microcontrollers suitable for industrial applications. Today, our innovative Atmel AVR® and ARM-based microcontrollers are used by leading companies in applications including industrial sensors, process instruments, control systems, and industrial control panels.
- Broad Portfolio — The Atmel microcontroller portfolio ranges from Atmel tinyAVR® 8-bit microcontrollers to the 32-bit ARM-based MPU, offering distinct feature sets to support a diverse array of products.
- Small Form Factor — Industrial sensors designs benefit from the highly integrated tinyAVR microcontrollers in small packages. The Atmel AVR microcontrollers are perfect for implementing sensor communication standards such as IO-Link in extremely space-constrained environment, while minimizing Bill of Materials (BOM).
- Power Efficiency — Process instrument applications that require limited power and solid signal processing capabilities can rely on the wide variety of efficient Atmel 32-bit microcontrollers.
- Communications Support — Industrial applications require more communications options than ever. The Atmel 32-bit microcontroller supports numerous communications peripherals such as high speed SPI and USART, CAN and Ethernet, to meet the growing demand for field bus and real-time industrial Ethernet solutions.
- Robust HMI — The Atmel advanced capacitive touch technology lets you design the next generation of industrial Human Machine Interface solutions.
- Safety functions — Atmel includes in its microcontrollers numerous hardware features which ease the implementation of SIL IEC61508 standards.
- Secure Communication — Many industrial automation applications require secure authentication and encrypted communications. The Atmel hardware authentication solutions, designed with leading edge hardware security design techniques as well as very low standby power, offer a cost effective solution along with Atmel microcontrollers with crypto accelerators.