Telecare equipment helps enable elderly people to live independently at home by providing remote health monitoring and assistance. Atmel® technology can provide an ideal platform for fall detection equipment, a promising application that can automatically alert emergency services. Atmel solutions can provide support for reliable communication, together with power efficiency, in a compact design.
Features and Benefits
- Atmel AVR® XMEGA™ microcontroller delivers robust processing ability on an extremely small footprint, to accommodate small, lightweight devices that are worn or carried by people.
- Second-generation Atmel picoPower® technology enables the AVR XMEGA to further extend battery life of portable devices for maximum power efficiency.
- Fall detector devices can provide medical alert monitoring for senior citizens and people with health issues, on a 24/7 basis.
Remote Patient Monitoring (Fall Detection)
Atmel can help you develop a complete telecare solution, from the gateway to sensor and patient monitoring applications.
Low power consumption is a critical requirement for fall detection systems, including the monitoring portable device carried by senior citizens or people with health issues, as well as the fixed sensor in the home. High feature integration is key to providing support for applications that require a very small form factor.
The Atmel AVR XMEGA family meets these requirements, enabling developers to build reliable, efficient solutions with a compact form factor as well as long battery life. Its Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) includes 32x8-bit registers, enabling you to implement highly efficient arithmetic processing.
[ + ] Wireless E-Paper Display Reference Design
Abstract: This reference design demonstrates a coin-cell operated wireless e-paper display solution based on Atmel ATmega2564RFR2 (IEEE 802.15.4 compliant). Pervasive Display’s e-paper consumes very little power as it can retain the image on the display even if power is removed. E-paper is easy to read due to high contrast and a 180 degree viewing angle. The design can be applied to long-life applications like medical display devices, smart tags, electronic shelf labels, barcode/QR codes, etc.
- E-Paper display
- Chip antenna based design
- IEEE 802.15.4 wireless connection
- Low power consumption
- Temperature sensing
[ + ] GPS Tracker Reference Design
Abstract: This reference design is a solution for GPS tracker based on ATSAMD20. It features GPS positioning and GSM communication, and can operate from a rechargeable battery. GPS-enabled tracking devices can be used for fleet management, vehicle and asset-tracking and as a safety feature for the elderly and children.
- E-Paper display
- Implemenated with SAMD20, GPS, and GSM modem using FreeRTOS
- Location requests and other commands can be issued over SMS
- Logging of GPS location to SD card
- On board Real Time Clock synchronized to the GPS UTC time
- Panic button that alerts others about your current location
- Accelerometer to sense movement to improve GPS power management
Learn more about the Atmel solution Application Notes, Devices, and Tools and Software.