- Automotive Microcontrollers
- Automotive Serial EEPROMs
- Automotive Touch
- Broadcast Radio
- CAN/VAN Networking
- Car Access
- Drivers/High-Temperature ICs
- Battery Management
- LIN Networking
- Rad Hard ASICs
- Rad Hard Communication ICs
- Rad Hard FPGAs
- Rad Hard Memories
- Rad Hard Processors
- Rad Tolerant Devices
- Knowledge Base
- Request Technical Support
- Customer Service
- Samples Request
- Obsolescence Information
- Third-Party Support - AVR
- Third-Party Support - ARM
- Atmel Gallery (app store)
- Touch Partners
- Sales Reps
- Events and Webcasts
- Press Releases
- Stock Information
- SEC Filings
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Profiles
- Board of Directors
- Quality Inquiry
- Quality Handbook
- Green Packaging
- Package Material
- Environmental Information
- Quality and Environment Certificates
- RMA and FA Information
- Reliability Information
- PCN and EOL Notifications
- FAQ Response Summary
- Building Automation
- Home Appliances
- Motor Control
- Safety Critical Touch Interfaces
- Home Entertainment
- Industrial Automation
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Smart Energy
- Mobile Electronics
- PC Peripherals
July 8, 2014Industry Leaders to Establish Open Interconnect Consortium
June 9, 2014Atmel Launches Atmel | SMART - a New Brand of 32-Bit Microcontrollers for the Next Wave of IoT Applications
January 7, 2013Atmel Expands Family of maXTouch S Controllers with Enhanced Nodes and Capabilities
Embedded Design Blog
Reliable, Robust Operation
More than ever, consumers have high expectations for home appliances. They demand sophisticated, feature-rich products that are reliable and easy to use. To meet these needs, developers of white goods need technology that provides:
- Advanced motor control features for safe, quiet operation
- Green, power-efficient technology, as well as energy measurement and control through connectivity with smart metering networks
- Advanced human machine interface (HMI) support through touchscreen technology for a rich, easy user experience
- Flexible, compatible connectivity to integrate devices with the outside world
- Standards-based certification to enable reliable, high-quality solutions
Atmel QTouch Technology for Home Appliances
Shortening development of safety critical home appliance products up to twelve months, the QTouch Safety Platform from Atmel® adds mandatory safety for capacitive touch-enabled user interfaces for home appliances.
Atmel's QTouch Safety Platform is pre-qualified for the VDE/UL 60730 and 60335 Class B certifications enabling household appliance designers to focus on more innovative, easy-to-use interfaces that support capacitive touch button, slider and wheels on an Atmel | SMART ARM Cortex M0+-based MCU rather than focusing on safety certification features.
The QTouch Safety Platform ensures excellent noise tolerance through dynamic hardware and firmware noise filtering passing IEC61000- 4-6 10V conducted immunity with very little design effort. In addition, it provides FMEA support and moisture tolerance.
Offering easy-to-use software and hardware tools, the QTouch Safety Library firmware and QTouch Composer Development Software can be downloaded free of charge from the Atmel Gallery.
The platform currently supports any Atmel│SMART SAM D20 ARM® Cortex™-M0+ MCU.
- IEC 61000-4-6 10V Conducted Immunity tolerant QTouch Safety Library
- IEC/UL 60730 and 60335 Class B certified QTouch Safety Library
- Advanced noise and moisture countermeasures – adjustable for any environmental conditions
- FMEA support
- Fast response time
Advanced, Energy-Efficient Solutions
Atmel® offers a wide range of solutions that are ideal for a variety of household appliances:
- Refrigeration — Power efficiency is key for refrigeration equipment. To meet today's green energy requirements, refrigerators and freezers must include support for global efficiency standards, as well as advanced communications for smart metering. The Atmel® intelligent, customizable microcontrollers provide flexible connectivity options and power efficient architectures that are an excellent fit for refrigeration applications.
- Cooking — Cooking appliances such as stoves, microwave ovens, and conventional ovens, often require a combination of temperature and mass sensors, programmable timers, and sophisticated motor control for fan and other devices. Some include remote controls, and rich, responsive touch control interfaces are key for ease of use. Atmel® industry leading touch solutions and customizable microcontrollers are ideal for cooking appliances.
- Washing — Washing machines require support for motor controls, water level and temperature sensing, and user interface components that can withstand harsh environments. Standards-based, secure connectivity is also a must for appliances that will connect to a home network. Atmel® offers a rich array of microcontrollers and touch screen solutions that can power today's advanced washing equipment.
- Motor Control — Microcontrollers are more and more common in motor control applications and are replacing Application-Specific Standard Products (ASSP) and ASICs. Since microcontrollers feature embedded peripherals, they provide more flexibility and offer a better cost solution compared to other solutions.
- Safety Critical Touch Interfaces — Shortening development of safety critical home appliance products up to twelve months, the QTouch® Safety Platform from Atmel® adds mandatory safety for capacitive touch-enabled user interfaces for home appliances.
The Atmel Advantage
Atmel is uniquely qualified to provide advanced, efficient solutions that are ideal for use in home appliances. We offer a broad range of Atmel AVR® microcontrollers that are a perfect fit for many white goods applications. Atmel also enables you to create more innovative products by taking full advantage of our world class performance, high end peripherals, and Flash memory. For feature-rich HMI support, the Atmel industry-leading touch technology delivers unbeatable performance and versatility.
- Extensive Portfolio — the Atmel AVR 8-, 8/16- and 32-bit AVR microcontrollers can fit a wide range of products
- Power Efficient — More than ten years focus on power efficiency enables AVR microcontrollers to more easily comply with standards such as Energy Star and European Regulations for stand-by current
- Advanced Touch Solutions — Atmel has the industry's most robust touch sensor technology, delivering industry-leading performance through our Atmel maXTouch™ microcontroller solutions. With our Atmel QTouch® library, you can add capacitive touch buttons, wheels and sliders at zero additional cost. Standards-based wireless support (802.15.4 ZigBee® Standard covering 2.4Ghz and sub-giga) lets your product support smart metering for energy control in the home
- Solid Security — Atmel offers easy to integrate secure authentication solutions to meet the needs of the smart meter and smart grid era, and enables a variety of key management strategies
- Wireless Connectivity — Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® are provided by partners, H&D Wireless, to enable the industry's smallest WLAN module, complete with software drivers for wireless audio streaming
Reference Designs and Resources
- Atmel EVK1100 : The EVK1100 is an evaluation kit and development system for the Atmel AVR UC3 A Series 32-bit microcontroller. Includes USB connectivity.
- Atmel EVK1101: The EVK1101 is an evaluation kit and development system for the Atmel AVR UC3 B Series 32-bit microcontroller. Includes USB connectivity.
- Atmel EVK1104: The AVR32 EVK1104 is an evaluation kit for the Atmel AT32UC3A3256 which combines the Atmel state-of-art AVR 32-bit microcontrollers with an unrivalled selection of communication interface like USB including On-The-Go functionality, SDcard, NAND flash with ECC and stereo 16-bit DAC.
- Atmel EVK1105: The EVK1105 is an evaluation kit for the Atmel AT32UC3A0512 which demonstrates the Atmel state-of-the-art AVR 32-bit microcontrollers in Hi-Fi audio decoding and streaming applications. Includes USB connectivity.
- Atmel AT88CK109STK3: Evaluation kit for Atmel CryptoAuthentication™. Enables easy security integration with AVR and ARM.
- QT1 Xplained Pro: The QT1 Xplained Pro kit is an extension board that enables evaluation of self- and mutual capacitance mode using the Peripheral Touch Controller(PTC).
- SAM D20 QTouch Robustness Demo Evaluation Kit: The SAM D20 QTouch Robustness Demo demonstrates best-in-class capacitive touch performance, the evaluation kit comes pre-loaded with pre-qualified 60730 Class B software that can be easily reprogrammed and debugged using the embedded debugger. The evaluation kit passes all standard home appliance EMC tests.
- Atmel ATAVRRZRAVEN 2.4 GHz Evaluation and Starter Kit: The RZRAVEN 2.4 GHz Evaluation and Starter Kit enables development, debugging and demonstration of a wide range of low power wireless applications including IEEE 802.15.4, 6LoWPAN and ZigBee networks.
- Atmel ATmega128RFA1 Evaluation Kit: The ATmega128RFA1 evaluation kit enables development, debugging and demonstration of IEEE 802.15.4 compliant wireless applications such as ZigBee and 6LoWPAN.
- Atmel AVR Raven: The AVR Raven has a 2.4 GHz transceiver, on board picoPower AVR application processors and LCD display.
- Atmel RZUSBstick: The AVR RZUSBSTICK consists of one USB stick with a 2.4 GHz transceiver and USB connection to your PC.
ZigBit Wireless modules
- Atmel ZigBit 2.4 GHz Amp Module with U.FL Connector: ZigBit Amp is an amplified IEEE 802.15.4/ZigBee module with U.FL Antenna connector.
- Atmel ZigBit 2.4 GHz Amp Module with Un-balanced Output: ZigBit Amp is an amplified IEEE 802.15.4/ZigBee module
- Atmel ZigBit 2.4 GHz Module with Balanced RF Output: ZigBit Module with Balanced RF Output is a low-power, best-in-class sensitivity 802.15.4/ ZigBee module.
- Atmel ZigBit 2.4 GHz Module with Dual Chip Antenna: ZigBit Module with Dual Chip Antenna is a low-power, best-in-class sensitivity 802.15.4/ ZigBee module.
- Atmel ZigBit 900 MHz Module with Balanced RF Output: ZigBit 900 is an ultra-compact, low-power, high-sensitivity 784/868MHz/915MHz 802.15.4/ZigBee OEM module.
RF Design Software
- Atmel BitCloud: ZigBee PRO BitCloud is a full-featured, 2nd generation embedded software stack from Atmel. The stack provides a software development platform for reliable, scalable, and secure wireless applications running on Atmel wireless platforms.
- Atmel IEEE 802.15.4 MAC: The IEEE standard 802.15.4 defines the protocol and compatible interconnection for data communication using low data rate, low power and low complexity, short-range radio frequency (RF) transmissions in a wireless personal area network (WPAN). Atmel developed the MAC stack software for different target platforms (microcontroller and board) and RF transceivers.
- Atmel RF4Control - ZigBee RF4CE: The RF4Control software stack is the Atmel ZigBee RF4CE compliant platform.