Washing machines require support for motor controls, water level and temperature sensing, and user interface components that can withstand harsh environments. Standards-based, secure connectivity is also a must for appliances that will connect to a home network. Atmel® offers a rich array of microcontrollers and touch screen solutions that can power today's advanced washing equipment.
Features and Benefits
- Atmel offers a wide range of 8- and 32-bit microcontrollers that are dedicated to motor control, providing support for BLDC motors, AC motors, and switched reluctance motors.
- Atmel AVR® 32-bit microcontrollers embed a digital signal processor (DSP) and a floating point unit (FPU) in select models, to deliver the high performance required in advanced motor control solutions.
- Many AVR microcontrollers include high-end PWM modules with dead-time insertion, fault management, synchronization with analog, making them a perfect choice for motor control.
- AVR microcontrollers are offered in 105°C versions, as well as models up to 150°C, for a perfect match for washers with challenging temperature requirements.
- Atmel provides an IEC 60730 Class B Library to support customers in the certification process, which dramatically speeds time to market.
- Atmel AVR 32-bit microcontrollers feature a multi-layer databus and DMA controller that make them a perfect fit for HMI applications where high bandwidth is required.
- Atmel has the industry's most robust touch sensor technology. With our Atmel QTouch® library, designers can add capacitive touch buttons, wheels and sliders at no additional cost.
- Native 5V support is available on the Atmel megaAVR® and Atmel tinyAVR® microcontrollers. Many AVR 32-bit microcontrollers also offer 5V-tolerant inputs.
- High integration solutions, such as motor control and HMI touch in a Single-chip, and high power IOs that can directly drive LEDs and buzzers, help reduce BOM.
- ZigBee PRO compatibility enables standards-compliant connectivity and smart metering.
- Node authentication capability supports smart meter infrastructure connections.
The Atmel QTouch® Library offers unrivaled HMI robustness in wet environments.
[ + ] QTouch Robustness Reference Design
Abstract: This reference design demonstrates a robust capacitive touch user interface solution based on Atmel ATSAMD20 with Peripheral Touch Controller (PTC). The design allows users to easily apply Atmel QTouch technology to achieve best-in-class noise immunity and moisture tolerance in challenging environments with a high level of electromagnetic noise – ideal for harsh environments.
- IEC 61000-4-6 10V Conducted Immunity tolerant QTouch Safety Library
- IEC/UL 60730 Class B certified QTouch Safety Library firmware
- FMEA support
- Six self-capacitance buttons with Philipp™ Spring
- Four mutual-capacitance buttons
- One 8-channel mutual-capacitance slider
[ + ] Configurable PMSM Sensorless Field Oriented Control Reference Design
Abstract: This reference design demonstates a motor control solution for 3-phase permanent magnet synchronous (PMSM) motor, using ATxmega16D4 microcontroller. This reference design features a PC configuration utility for configuring and tuning sensorless field oriented control (FOC) parameters.
- Sensorless field oriented control (FOC) algorithm implemented in ATxmega16D4
- 3-phase permanent magnet synchronous (PMSM) motor application
- 3-phase half-bridge gate drive circuitry with N-MOSFETs as lower switches and P-MOSFETs as upper switches
- Single shunt current reconstruction
- PC based configuration utility and tuning guidelines
[ + ] IEC 60730 Safety Library Reference Design
Abstract: Shortening the development and certification time for application for white goods and appliances, Atmel offers a free certified configurable microcontroller self-diagnostic library for the Atmel AVR and ARM-based microcontroller series. With this library and the application specific test for the customers’ application the Class B certification is in short time and with minimum effort achievable.
- Certified and complies with the EN/IEC 60335 (safety of electrical appliances for household and similar purposes)
- Certified and complies with the EN/IEC 60730 (automatic electrical controls for use with equipment for household and similar use)
- Includes all application independent tests to pass the Class B certification
- The library takes advantage of the safety hardware modules, inclulding hardware CRC32 unit, the Brown Out Detection (BOD) and the independent clocked WatchDog Timer etc.