We'll tell you all you need to know to start evaluating and working with this product.
The Human Machine Interface (HMI) includes the electronics required to signal and control the state of industrial automation equipment. These interface products can range from a basic LED status indicator to a 20-inch TFT panel with touchscreen interface. HMI applications require mechanical robustness and resistance to water, dust, moisture, a wide range of temperatures, and, in some environments, secure communication. They should provide Ingress Protection (IP) ratings up to IP65, IP67, and IP68. The unique capacitive Atmel® QTouch technology, Atmel SAM9 microprocessors, and Atmel CryptoAuthentication™ devices enable designers to meet these requirements and more, with an optimized BOM.
Features and Benefits
- Supports high source and sink output IO capabilities up to 60mA for direct drive of LEDs.
- High-speed PWM units enable LED dimming and screen back lighting.
- Robust touch technology provides reduced wear and increased product lifetime. Due to its superior field penetration, Atmel Touch technology will operate through 6mm thick, non-conductive surfaces.
- The excellent signal-to-noise ratio of the Atmel QMatrix™ touch technology makes the design immune to water, moisture, or dust and enables operators to use gloves.
- Capacitive touch eases design of full hermetic or sealed products, while power efficiency minimizes heat dissipation.
- Free Atmel QTouch software library on the Atmel microcontroller lets designers avoid the cost of an additional component.
- The Atmel touch spread spectrum frequency implementation helps designers meet electro-magnetic emission requirements.
- The Atmel industrial microprocessor product portfolio with integrated LCD, combined with the Atmel QTouch technology, are the ideal candidates for your next control panel design.
- The Atmel CryptoAuthentication family of hardware security devices provides cost effective solutions for authenticated and encrypted communications between HMI and industrial equipment.
- LED Indicators and Mechanical Switches are a leading HMI for industrial applications, and Atmel AVR® and AT91SAM microcontrollers offer a variety of benefits.
- Capacitive Touch Technology for HMI helps protect industrial interface modules, while increasing design flexibility and enhancing look and feel.
- Industrial Control Panels with LCD Displays provide the operator an efficient, flexible way to monitor and control increasingly complex automated processes.
- Hardware Security Products protect firmware integrity from tampering to assure continuous and reliable performance.
Atmel HMI solutions help reduce board space and enable a lower BOM. They do not require a separate LCD controller chip, or an external resistive touchscreen chip. Standard DDR2 external memory provides lower cost and longer availability. Atmel solutions also provide high performance with high-speed communication, and are available with ready-to-use software support. An evaluation kit is available for each Atmel SAM9 with free Linux® distribution and Microsoft® Windows® Embedded CE BSP.
[ - ] Wireless Thermostat with SAM4LC Reference Design
Abstract: This reference design is a complete wireless thermostat using Atmel ATSAM4LC microcontroller and AT86RF233 2.4GHz transceiver. The user interface consists of 6 touch buttons and a custom segment LCD with backlight. Users can change the thermostat settings for every day of the week, with a granularity of 6 hours. Communication with the HVAC system is done by ZigBee and the Atmel Lightweight Mesh stack.
- Temperature/Humidity/Ambient light sense capabilities
- FreeRTOS™ tickless implementation
- 6 capasitive touch buttons (Atmel QTouch Library)
- ZigBee compliant RF communication (Atmel Lightweight Mesh)
- Atmel AT86RF233 2.4GHz RF transceiver
- Ten-month life time with two AA alkaline batteries
[ - ] QTouch Robustness Reference Design
Abstract: This reference design demonstrates a robust capacitive touch user interface solution based on Atmel ATSAMD20 with Peripheral Touch Controller (PTC). The design allows users to easily apply Atmel QTouch technology to achieve best-in-class noise immunity and moisture tolerance in challenging environments with a high level of electromagnetic noise – ideal for harsh environments.
- IEC 61000-4-6 10V Conducted Immunity tolerant QTouch Safety Library
- IEC/UL 60730 Class B certified QTouch Safety Library firmware
- FMEA support
- Six self-capacitance buttons with Philipp™ Spring
- Four mutual-capacitance buttons
- One 8-channel mutual-capacitance slider
Customer Success Stories
Discover how leading Industrial Automation manufacturers are building advanced solutions with Atmel technology.
- RAFI, a leading company for industrial HMI, is using Atmel QTouch technology to support its products.
Reference Designs and Tools
Use our reference designs, software tools, and other resources as a starting point to build and design your own solutions.
Learn more about the Atmel solution Application Notes, Devices, and Tools and Software.