- Knowledge Base
- Request Technical Support
- Customer Service
- Samples Request
- Obsolescence Information
- Third-Party Support - AVR
- Third-Party Support - ARM
- Atmel Gallery (app store)
- Touch Partners
- Sales Reps
- Events and Webcasts
- Press Releases
- Stock Information
- SEC Filings
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Profiles
- Board of Directors
- Quality Inquiry
- Quality Handbook
- Green Packaging
- Package Material
- Environmental Information
- Quality and Environment Certificates
- RMA and FA Information
- Reliability Information
- PCN and EOL Notifications
- FAQ Response Summary
- Building Automation
- Home Appliances
- Home Entertainment
- Industrial Automation
- Internet of Things
- Smart Energy
- Mobile Electronics
- Mobile Phones
- Tablets and Notebooks
- Portable Game Consoles
- Portable Audio Players
- GPS Asset Tracking
- PC Peripherals
July 8, 2014Industry Leaders to Establish Open Interconnect Consortium
April 28, 2014Atmel Extends Industry Leading maXTouch T Series with the Market’s Highest Performance Touchscreen Controller
April 28, 2014Arduino and Atmel Launch Secure Wi-Fi Connectivity for All Arduino Platforms; Enables Unlimited Possibilities for Smart, Connected IoT Devices
Embedded Design Blog
In Touch with a New Level of Imagination
Today's mobile products continue to change the way people consume information, socialize, conduct business, and buy products. Meeting the needs of increasingly mobile consumers now requires solutions that offer:
- Support for intuitive touchscreen interfaces
- Efficient power management
- Fast response time for nimble operation
- Highly integrated designs for small footprints and minimal bill-of-materials (BOM) costs
- Secure hardware-based authentication of accessories
Extending Mobility with Touch, Power, and Security
From high-performance touchscreen controllers and highly advanced touch sensors to industry-leading low power consumption and cryptographic hardware authentication, Atmel is your source for technology that supports imaginative new mobile electronics.
- Mobile Phones — Atmel works with the world's major handset manufacturers and supports many advanced operating systems, including Android, Linux and Windows®. The Atmel® maXTouch® family of touchscreen microcontrollers offers world-class signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and high resolution, so your touchscreen-based devices can support a stylus, fingernails, and gloved fingers. The Atmel Sensor Hub solution combines the expertise from our sensor partners with our microcontroller expertise to provide you a tailored system solution for processing and integrating real-time data from your product’s surroundings. The Sensor Hub can give your product contextual awareness that improves the user experience. Additionally, easy-to-use hardware and software tools complement this platform to help with your development. Whether you are looking for a system to develop your own differentiators, a high-level set of gestures with contextual awareness, or an off-the-shelf solution, Atmel has you covered.
- Tablets and Notebooks — The Atmel® maXTouch® U Series controllers employ a groundbreaking dual architecture that uses mutual- and self-capacitance sensing, which features the industry’s lowest power consumption. Support for a high number of nodes accurately reports the positions of unlimited simultaneous touches—including stretch, pinch, rotate gestures—from a stylus, fingernails or even gloved fingertips. Imagine the experience you can create for users of larger mobile devices, coupled with dazzling speed that completely redraws a screen every 4/1000th of a second.
- Portable Game Consoles — Atmel offers a wide range of technologies that enable users to securely download and play games on a variety of slot-enabled handheld products, regardless of manufacturer or native application processor. Atmel MicroSD cards incorporate a graphics accelerator, interface logic and high-end ARM9™ processor. The Atmel CryptoAuthentication™ IC can protect your portable gaming console from counterfeit accessories, such as battery clones that can lose their charge sooner and cause malfunctions such as short circuits. Atmel Sensor Hub technology, which combines our expertise in MCUs combined with the sensor-specific expertise of our partners, provides real-time motion sensing to deliver a truly immersive gaming experience.
- Cameras — Combine the best picture taking with exceptional speed and minimal power consumption. The broad family of Atmel ARM®-based microcontrollers integrate all the functions required to implement digital cameras on a single-chip. This includes capturing, processing, compressing, displaying, and storing images in Flash memory cards, as well as controlling camera functionality through the use of an integrated processor. In addition, the Atmel ATSHA204 CryptoAuthentication IC authentication chip family is the only battery authentication IC that uses a SHA-256 cryptographic engine and a 256-bit key to protect cameras from counterfeit accessories, such as battery packs.
- Portable Audio Players — Atmel offers solutions for digital audio, including the industry's most robust touch sensor technology. Atmel provides both Atmel AVR® 8- and 32-bit microcontrollers supporting Radio Frequency for Consumer Electronics (RF4CE). Protect your intellectual property (IP) against cloning, counterfeiting and other security breaches and securely manage third-party licensing agreements with the Atmel CrytoAuthentication family of hardware authentication solutions. Through our partners, we provide Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, including the industry's smallest WLAN module and switching-amplifier solutions.
The Atmel Advantage
Advanced Atmel touch technologies expand the possibilities for your mobile products. Take advantage of continual performance breakthroughs, low power consumption, better signal-to-noise ratio, single-chip touch solutions, rigorous security and more.
- Advanced Touchscreen Controllers — Advanced capacitive touch solutions offer the industry's lowest power, highest performance single-chip touch solutions. Capacitive technology that spans small to large screens makes Atmel the natural choice for advanced operating systems like Android, Linux, and Windows. maXTouch touch solutions provide a whole new experience for mobile product users—supporting unlimited touches and touch sensing from a stylus, fingernails, or gloved fingers.
- Small Footprint — Based on patented charge-transfer technology, maXTouch microcontrollers combine all aspects of advanced touch sensing onto a single chip with a total printed circuit board size of 7mm by 7mm including discrete components.
- Lower Power Consumption — maXTouch devices feature extremely low current consumption, less than 1.8 mW in "touch-ready" state with startup time below 10 ms from idle. Atmel picoPower® technology provides power-saving modes to conserve power while offering abundant performance.
- High-Security Hardware Authentication — Software-only security solutions are notoriously weak. Atmel provides low-cost, high-security hardware authentication solutions, including the ability to integrate security with Atmel AVR microcontrollers and ARM-based microcontrollers. Atmel CryptoAuthentication is the first authentication chip family using the SHA-256 hash algorithm, the latest U.S. government-recommended algorithm for superior algorithm security, to authenticate accessories, battery packs, or any replaceable item that contains a power source.
- Responsiveness — Response time is a critical success factor in the user experience. maXTouch touchscreen controllers are designed to support the most response-sensitive applications, including video games and handwriting recognition. With the ability to scan the touchscreen sensor every 4/1000th of a second, your application can sustain a data report rate greater than 250Hz.
- Robustness — maXTouch devices are environmentally robust, so you can confidently design cameras and cell phones for harsh weather conditions.
- Range of Atmel AVR and ARM microcontrollers — Atmel provides 8-, 8-/16-, and 32-bit AVR and 32-bit ARM-based microcontrollers optimized for low power and 1.8V operation. Save time and money by taking advantage of the Atmel QTouch® Library for standard microcontrollers as well as easy-to-use, low-cost tools.
- Highly Integrated Power Management — Atmel provides optimized solutions for Atmel AT91SAM ARM-based devices, including integrated DC/DC converters, low dropout regulators, real-time clock, and audio CODEC (compressor-decompressor), all controlled through industry-standard serial interfaces.