- Evaluation Kits
- Starter Kits
- Development Kits
- Reference Designs
- Add-ons and Accessories
- Zigbit Wireless Modules
- Knowledge Base
- Request Technical Support
- Customer Service
- Samples Request
- Obsolescence Information
- Corporate Releases
- Product Releases
- Technical News Briefs
- Speakers Bureau
- Atmel in the News
- Embedded Design Blog
- Events and Webcasts
- Press Releases
- Stock Information
- SEC Filings
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Profiles
- Board of Directors
- Quality Inquiry
- Quality Handbook
- Green Packaging
- Package Material
- Environmental Information
- Quality and Environment Certificates
- RMA and FA Information
- Reliability Information
- Obsolescence Information
- FAQ Response Summary
- Building Automation
- Home Appliances
- Home Entertainment
- Industrial Automation
- Internet of Things
- Smart Energy
- Mobile Electronics
- Mobile Phones
- Tablets and Notebooks
- Portable Game Consoles
- Portable Audio Players
- GPS Asset Tracking
- PC Peripherals
July 31, 2014Atmel Completes Newport Media Acquisition
July 8, 2014Industry Leaders to Establish Open Interconnect Consortium
July 7, 2014Atmel to Acquire Newport Media – Strengthening its Leadership Position in the IoT Market
Embedded Design Blog
In Touch with a New Level of Imagination
Today's mobile products continue to change the way people consume information, socialize, conduct business, and buy products. Meeting the needs of increasingly mobile consumers now requires solutions that offer:
- Support for intuitive touchscreen interfaces
- Efficient power management
- Fast response time for nimble operation
- Highly integrated designs for small footprints and minimal bill-of-materials (BOM) costs
- Secure hardware-based authentication of accessories
Extending Mobility with Touch, Power, and Security
From high-performance touchscreen controllers and highly advanced touch sensors to industry-leading low power consumption and cryptographic hardware authentication, Atmel is your source for technology that supports imaginative new mobile electronics.
- Mobile Phones — Atmel works with the world's major handset manufacturers, and supports many advanced operating systems, including Android, Linux and Windows®. The Atmel® maXTouch® family of touchscreen microcontrollers offers world-class signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and high resolution, so your touchscreen-based devices can support a stylus, fingernails and gloved fingers. The advanced Atmel Sensor Hub Solution—which combines our Atmel MCU expertise with the sensor-specific knowhow of our partners—enables processing and integration of data from a variety of sources, including accelerometers, gyroscopes and magnetometers, as well as barometric pressure, proximity, and light sensors. The result is a rich user experience and enhanced battery life for applications that support gestures and contextual awareness, such as navigation, gaming, mobile and computing. The Atmel XSense® touch sensor supports sleek, lightweight designs that are edgeless or have narrow borders, so you can add touch capabilities to curved surfaces or to the edges of your device.
- Tablets and Notebooks — The Atmel maXTouch T microcontroller is the world's first single-chip touchscreen solution for Windows 8 certified notebooks and Intel Ultrabooks™ with screen sizes up to 15.6 inches. This technology features a groundbreaking dual architecture using both mutual- and self-capacitance for the industry’s best touch performance and lowest power consumption. It fully supports Windows 8 certified Atmel maXStylus® technology. Plus, a high number of nodes accurately report the positions of unlimited simultaneous touches, including stretch, pinch, and rotate gestures—even from gloved fingertips, styli or fingernails. By implementing Sensor Hub technology, your designs can deliver a rich user experience that accurately takes into account real-time contextual data related to location, orientation, direction and motion. XSense touch sensors enable you to implement sleeker, lighter designs that are edgeless or have narrow borders. Imagine the experience you can create for mobile device users, coupled with dazzling speed that completely redraws a screen every 4/1000th of a second.
- Portable Game Consoles — Atmel offers a wide range of technologies that enable users to securely download and play games on a variety of slot-enabled handheld products, regardless of manufacturer or native application processor. Atmel MicroSD cards incorporate a graphics accelerator, interface logic and high-end ARM9™ processor. The Atmel CryptoAuthentication™ IC can protect your portable gaming console from counterfeit accessories, such as battery clones that can lose their charge sooner and cause malfunctions such as short circuits. Atmel Sensor Hub technology, which combines our expertise in MCUs combined with the sensor-specific expertise of our partners, provides real-time motion sensing to deliver a truly immersive gaming experience.
- Cameras — Combine the best picture taking with exceptional speed and minimal power consumption. The broad family of Atmel ARM®-based microcontrollers integrate all the functions required to implement digital cameras on a single-chip. This includes capturing, processing, compressing, displaying, and storing images in Flash memory cards, as well as controlling camera functionality through the use of an integrated processor. In addition, the Atmel ATSHA204 CryptoAuthentication IC authentication chip family is the only battery authentication IC that uses a SHA-256 cryptographic engine and a 256-bit key to protect cameras from counterfeit accessories, such as battery packs.
- Portable Audio Players — Atmel offers solutions for digital audio, including the industry's most robust touch sensor technology. Atmel provides both Atmel AVR® 8- and 32-bit microcontrollers supporting Radio Frequency for Consumer Electronics (RF4CE). Protect your intellectual property (IP) against cloning, counterfeiting and other security breaches and securely manage third-party licensing agreements with the Atmel CrytoAuthentication family of hardware authentication solutions. Through our partners, we provide Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, including the industry's smallest WLAN module and switching-amplifier solutions.
The Atmel Advantage
Advanced Atmel touch technologies expand the possibilities for your mobile products. Take advantage of continual performance breakthroughs, low power consumption, better signal-to-noise ratio, single-chip touch solutions, rigorous security and more.
- Sophisticated Touch Sensors — High-performance, highly flexible Atmel XSense touch sensors provide capabilities that will not only enable you to create a new generation of smartphones, tablets and Ultrabooks but also integrate touch functionality into entirely new mobile products. When combined with Atmel maXTouch touchscreen controllers, you have the technology to improve the touch user experience by optimizing total touch performance.
- Advanced Touchscreen Controllers — Advanced capacitive touch solutions offer the industry's lowest power, highest performance single-chip touch solutions. Capacitive technology that spans small to large screens makes Atmel the natural choice for advanced operating systems like Android, Linux, and Windows. maXTouch touch solutions provide a whole new experience for mobile product users—everything from filtering unintended touches to delivering sensor hub integration to supporting unlimited touches and touch sensing from a stylus, fingernails, or gloved fingers.
- The Atmel Sensor Hub Solutions — The Atmel Sensor Hub solution combines the knowhow from our sensor partners with our microcontroller expertise to offer a tailored system solution for processing and integration of real-time data from your product’s surroundings. In addition, easy-to-use hardware and software tools complement this platform to help with your development. Whether you are looking for a system to develop your own differentiators, a high-level set of gestures with contextual awareness or an off-the-shelf solution, Atmel has you covered.
- Small Footprint — Based on patented charge-transfer technology, maXTouch microcontrollers combine all aspects of advanced touch sensing onto a single chip with a total printed circuit board size of 7mm by 7mm including discrete components.
- Lower Power Consumption — maXTouch devices feature extremely low current consumption, less than 1.8 mW in "touch-ready" state with startup time below 10 ms from idle. Atmel picoPower® technology provides power-saving modes to conserve power while offering abundant performance.
- High-Security Hardware Authentication — Software-only security solutions are notoriously weak. Atmel provides low-cost, high-security hardware authentication solutions, including the ability to integrate security with Atmel AVR microcontrollers and ARM-based microcontrollers. Atmel CryptoAuthentication is the first authentication chip family using the SHA-256 hash algorithm, the latest U.S. government-recommended algorithm for superior algorithm security, to authenticate accessories, battery packs, or any replaceable item that contains a power source.
- Responsiveness — Response time is a critical success factor in the user experience. maXTouch touchscreen controllers are designed to support the most response-sensitive applications, including video games and handwriting recognition. With the ability to scan the touchscreen sensor every 4/1000th of a second, your application can sustain a data report rate greater than 250Hz.
- Robustness — maXTouch devices are environmentally robust, so you can confidently design cameras and cell phones for harsh weather conditions.
- Range of Atmel AVR and ARM microcontrollers — Atmel provides 8-, 8-/16-, and 32-bit AVR and 32-bit ARM-based microcontrollers optimized for low power and 1.8V operation. Save time and money by taking advantage of the Atmel QTouch® Library for standard microcontrollers as well as easy-to-use, low-cost tools.
- Highly Integrated Power Management — Atmel provides optimized solutions for Atmel AT91SAM ARM-based devices, including integrated DC/DC converters, low dropout regulators, real-time clock, and audio CODEC (compressor-decompressor), all controlled through industry-standard serial interfaces.