- Evaluation Kits
- Starter Kits
- Development Kits
- Reference Designs
- Add-ons and Accessories
- Zigbit Wireless Modules
- Corporate Releases
- Product Releases
- Technical News Briefs
- Speakers Bureau
- Atmel in the News
- Embedded Design Blog
- Events and Webcasts
- Press Releases
- Stock Information
- SEC Filings
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Profiles
- Board of Directors
- Quality Inquiry
- Quality Handbook
- Green Packaging
- Package Material
- Environmental Information
- Quality and Environment Certificates
- RMA and FA Information
- Reliability Information
- Obsolescence Information
- FAQ Response Summary
- Building Automation
- Home Appliances
- Home Entertainment
- Industrial Automation
- Smart Energy
- Mobile Electronics
- Mobile Phones
- Tablets and Notebooks
- Portable Game Consoles
- Portable Audio Players
- PC Peripherals
January 7, 2013New Touch Controllers Enable Flawless User Experience, Even for Users with Gloves On, With Passive Stylus Support for Touchscreens in Smartphones, Superphones, eReaders and Tablets
November 1, 2012maXTouch mXT224S Controller Offers Seamless, Robust Touch Experience for Samsung’s Latest Innovative Galaxy S III ‘Mini’ 4-inch Touchscreen
October 29, 2012Atmel Delivers World’s First Single-chip Solution that Integrates Touch And Sensor Hub Functionality to Enhance Users’ Experience
Embedded Design Blog
In Touch with a New Level of Imagination
Today's mobile products continue to change the way people consume information, socialize, conduct business, and purchase products. Meeting the needs of increasingly mobile customers now requires solutions that offer:
- Support for intuitive touchscreen interfaces
- Efficient power management
- Fast response time for nimble operation
- Highly-integrated design for small footprint and minimal bill-of-materials (BOM) costs
- Secure hardware authentication of accessories
Extending Mobility with Touch, Power, and Security
From high-performance touchscreen controllers to highly advanced touch sensors, industry-leading low power consumption to cryptographic hardware authentication, Atmel@ is your source for technology that supports imaginative new mobile electronics.
- Mobile Phones — Atmel works with the world's major handset manufacturers, and supports many advanced operating systems, including Android, Linux and Windows. The Atmel® maXTouch® family of touchscreen microcontrollers offers world-class signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and high resolution, so your touchscreen-based devices can support a stylus, fingernails, and gloved fingers. Leveraging our own MCU expertise with the sensor-specific expertise of our partners, sensor hub technology enables the processing and integration of data from a variety of sensors including accelerometers, gyroscopes, magnetometers, barometric pressure, proximity, and light to deliver a rich user experience and enhances battery lifetime for applications such as navigation, gaming, mobile and computing supporting gestures and contextual awareness. This function is also offered in certain devices in the maXTouch family powered by maXFusion™. The Atmel XSense® touch sensor supports light, sleek designs that are edgeless or have narrow borders, so you can add touch capabilities to curved surfaces or to the edges of your device.
- Tablets and Notebooks — Our maXTouch T microcontroller is the world's first single-chip touchscreen solution for Windows 8 certified notebooks and Intel Ultrabooks™ up to 15.6 inches. This technology features a groundbreaking dual architecture using both mutual- and self-capacitance for the industry’s best touch performance and lowest power consumption. It fully supports Windows 8 certified Atmel maXStylus™ technology. A high number of nodes accurately report the positions of unlimited simultaneous touches, even gloved fingertips, including stretch, pinch, rotate gestures, and the touch of a styli or fingernails. By implementing the sensor hub technology your designs can deliver a rich user experience that accurately takes into account real-time contextual data related to location, orientation, direction, and motion. XSense touch sensors enable you to implement sleeker, lighter designs that are edgeless or have narrow borders. Imagine the experience you can create for mobile device users, coupled with dazzling speed that completely redraws a screen every 4/1000th of a second.
- Portable Game Consoles — Atmel offers a wide range of technologies enabling users to securely download and play games on a variety of slot-enabled handheld products, regardless of manufacturer or native application processor. Atmel MicroSD cards incorporate a graphics accelerator, interface logic and high-end ARM9™ processor. The Atmel CryptoAuthentication™ IC can protect your portable gaming console from counterfeit accessories, such as battery clones that can lose their charge sooner and cause malfunctions such as short circuits. The sensor hub technology, leveraging our own MCU expertise with the sensor specific expertise of our partners, provides real-time motion sensing to deliver a truly immersive gaming experience.
- Cameras — Combine the best picture taking with exceptional speed and minimal power consumption. The broad family of Atmel ARM®-based microcontrollers integrate all the functions required to implement digital cameras on a single-chip, including capturing, processing, compressing, displaying, and storing images in Flash cards, as well as controlling camera functionality through the use of an integrated processor. In addition, the Atmel ATSHA204 CryptoAuthentication™ IC authentication chip family is the only battery authentication IC that uses a SHA-256 cryptographic engine and a 256-bit key to protect cameras from counterfeit accessories, such as battery packs.
- Portable Audio Players — Atmel offers solutions for digital audio, including the industry's most robust touch sensor technology. Atmel provides both Atmel AVR® 8- and 32-bit microcontrollers supporting Radio Frequency for Consumer Electronics (RF4CE). Protect your intellectual property (IP) against cloning, counterfeiting and other security breaches and securely manage third-party licensing agreements with the Atmel CrytoAuthentication family of hardware authentication solutions. Through our partners, we provide Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, including the industry's smallest WLAN module and switching-amplifier solutions.
The Atmel Advantage
With our advanced touch technologies, you can expand the possibilities for your mobile products. Take advantage of continual performance breakthroughs, low power consumption, better signal-to-noise ratio, single-chip touch solutions, rigorous security, and more:
- Sophisticated Touch Sensors — Our high-performance, highly flexible XSense® touch sensors provide capabilities that will not only enable you to create a new generation of smartphones, tablets and Ultrabooks but also integrate touch functionality into entirely new mobile products. When combined with Atmel maXTouch® touchscreen controllers, you have the technology to improve the touch user experience by optimizing total touch performance.
- Advanced Touchscreen Controllers — Our advanced capacitive touch solutions offer the industry's lowest power, highest performance single-chip touch solutions. With capacitive technology that spans small to large screens, Atmel is the natural choice for advanced operating systems like Android, Linux, and Windows. maXTouch touch solutions provide a whole new experience for mobile product users, everything from filtering unintended touches to delivering sensor hub integration to supporting unlimited touches, stylus, fingernails, and gloved fingers.
- The Atmel Sensor Hub Solutions — The Atmel Sensor Hub solution combines the expertise from our sensor partners with our MCU excellence to provide you a tailored system solution for processing and integration of real-time data from your product’s surroundings. Furthermore, this platform is complemented by easy-to-use hardware and software tools to help with your development. Whether you are looking for a system to develop your own differentiators, a high-level set of gestures with contextual awareness or an off-the-shelf solution, Atmel has you covered.
- Small Footprint — Based on the patented charge-transfer technology, maXTouch microcontrollers combine all aspects of advanced touch sensing onto a single chip, with a total PCB size of 7mm x 7mm, including discrete components.
- Lower Power Consumption — maXTouch devices feature extremely low current consumption, less than 1.8 mW in "touch-ready" state with startup time below 10 ms from idle. Atmel picoPower® technology provides power-saving modes to conserve power while offering abundant performance.
- High Security Hardware Authentication — Software-only security solutions are notoriously weak. Atmel provides low-cost, high-security hardware authentication solutions, including the ability to integrate security with Atmel AVR microcontrollers and ARM®-based microcontrollers. Atmel CryptoAuthentication™ is the first authentication chip family using the SHA-256 hash algorithm, the latest U.S. government-recommended algorithm for superior algorithm security, to authenticate accessories, battery packs, or any replaceable item that contains a power source.
- Responsiveness — Response time is a critical success factor in the user experience. With the ability to scan the touchscreen sensor every 4/1000th of a second, your application can sustain a data report rate greater than 250Hz. maXTouch touchscreen controllers are designed to support the most response-sensitive applications, including video games and handwriting recognition.
- Robustness — maXTouch devices are environmentally robust, so you can confidently design cameras and cell phones for harsh weather conditions.
- Range of Atmel AVR and ARM microcontrollers — Atmel provides 8-, 8-/16-, and 32-bit AVR and 32-bit ARM®-based microcontrollers optimized for low power and 1.8V operation. Save time and money by taking advantage of the Atmel QTouch® Library for standard microcontrollers and easy-to-use, low-cost tools.
- Highly Integrated Power Management — Atmel provides optimized solutions for Atmel AT91SAM ARM-based devices, including integrated DC/DC converters, low dropout regulators, real-time clock, and audio CODEC (compressor-decompressor), all controlled through industry-standard serial interfaces.