Small I/O devices such as mice, keyboards, and graphics pads are the literally the first and most important point of contact for Macintosh® and Windows® PC users. Atmel® builds in precise, nimble movement coupled with low power operation for long battery life.
Features and Benefits
- Atmel megaAVR® microcontrollers feature self-programming flash for fast, secure, cost-effective field upgrades and last-minute programming. Single-chip solutions embed capacitive touch functionality to reduce costs.
- Atmel one-chip battery management microcontrollers precisely control voltage to extend peripheral battery life while minimizing component count.
- Atmel microcontrollers and embedded MPUs combine system control, wired and wireless connectivity, and UI management. Embedded LCD controller and resistive touch support advanced graphic UI applications.
- High efficiency RF modules and bundles support 700/800/900 MHz and 2.4GHz bands to meet worldwide market needs. Pre-tested and pre-certified modules speed prototyping and eliminate certification testing to shorten time to market.
- Industry-standard connectivity support includes USB wired interfaces (HID class), as well as WiFi, Bluetooth, and ZigBee IEEE 802.15.4 wireless interfaces. USB On-The-Go (OTG) connects mice and keyboards to your embedded application.
- A full range of development tools, including reference designs with firmware, evaluation kits, and software stacks accelerate component design.
Small I/O Devices
- Mice and Trackballs are great candidates for Atmel® QTouch® capacitive touch microcontrollers. Signal processing in the decision logic delivers precise, reliable button, slider or wheel touch operation. Low power use is a key competitive capability.
- Graphics pads can rely on the Atmel maXTouch™ family of touchscreen microcontrollers, which support unlimited simultaneous touches and boast a refresh rate and signal-to-noise ratio 66 percent better than the nearest competitor.
Energy efficiency is always a concern for battery-powered wireless products. Atmel microcontrollers feature Atmel picoPower® technology that dramatically increases battery life. Atmel single-chip RF controllers make it easy to integrate secure, effective, wireless connectivity.
Atmel maXTouch touchscreen microcontrollers offer superior performance and low-power consumption in a single IC. Unlimited touch support, built-in gestures, and the ability to ignore unintentional touches produce a user interface that is both intuitive and reliable.
[ + ] Joystick Game Controller Reference Design
Abstract: This reference design demonstrates a USB joystick game controller using the Atmel ATxmega32A4U microcontroller. This design allows users to control the mouse cursor and clicks on a graphical user-interface via the joystick and buttons of the controller.
- Two 2-axis analog joysticks
- Up to six push buttons through digital I/Os
- Report direction and state parameters through USB HID
Learn more about the Atmel solution Application Notes, Devices, and Tools and Software.