From MakerSpace to MarketPlace
At the heart of the Maker Movement, Atmel® is enabling engineers, professionals and hobbyists to kick-start their latest projects from smart and securely connected devices for the Internet of Things (IoT), to robotics, thermostats, 3D printers and much, much more. Atmel guides the millions of Makers from getting started on the open source Arduino platforms based on Atmel microcontrollers (MCUs), to spreading the word through its millions of digital followers (blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google, LinkedIn), all the way to getting it to market and transferring to Atmel’s professional integrated development platform.
Ready to get started on your next do-it-yourself (DIY) project with an Atmel based Arduino board? Share the news with Atmel @AtmelMakes.
The Original Brains at the Heart of the Maker Movement
Arduino is a software tool for making interactive objects that can sense and control the physical world. Since 2005, a worldwide community of “makers” has gathered around this open source platform. And Atmel MCUs were there from the outset, providing simple but powerful MCUs as the hardware side of the equation. Artists, designers, inventors, engineers, musicians and even school children use Arduino with boards designed around Atmel AVR® or Atmel | SMART ARM®-based MCUs turn brainstorms into real working things.
By delivering a unique combination of performance, power efficiency and design flexibility, Atmel MCUs perfectly complement Arduino and the needs of makers. More importantly, they come virtually pre-integrated the peripherals needed to sense and control the physical world. Atmel MCUs and Arduino—the original duo at the heart of the global maker movement.
Arduino Boards for Makers
Today, both Atmel AVR 8-bit MCUs and Atmel 32-bit ARM®-based MCUs power a variety of Arduino’s easy-to-use boards including:
- Arduino Zero – Based on the Atmel | SMART SAMD21 MCU, the Zero is a simple, elegant and powerful 32-bit extension of the platform aiming to provide creative individuals the potential to realize truly innovative ideas for smart IoT devices, wearable technology, high-tech automation, robotics and projects not yet imagined.
- Arduino Uno - Based on the Atmel AVR ATmega328, the Uno board is a low-cost Arduino board with a simpler circuit. The software onboard includes a USB driver that can simulate a mouse, keyboard and serial port. In addition, the bootloader includes a serial port and USB mass storage driver.
- Arduino Due – Based on an Atmel | SMART SAM3 MCU, the Due board is ideal for home automation projects and can run up to 96MHz.
- Arduino Wi-Fi Shield 101– Built on an easy-to-use extension that can be seamlessly connected to any Arduino board, the Wi-Fi Shield 101 is powered by the Atmel SmartConnect wireless network controller and an Atmel CryptoAuthentication™ ATECC108 device.
- Arduino Leonardo – Based on the Atmel megaAVR® ATmega32U4, the Arduino Leonardo is a low-cost Arduino board. It has the same shape and connectors as the UNO board, but it has a simpler circuit. On the software side it provides a USB driver able to simulate a mouse, a keyboard, and a serial port.