- Evaluation Kits
- Starter Kits
- Development Kits
- Reference Designs
- Add-ons and Accessories
- Zigbit Wireless Modules
- Knowledge Base
- Request Technical Support
- Customer Service
- Samples Request
- Obsolescence Information
- Corporate Releases
- Product Releases
- Technical News Briefs
- Speakers Bureau
- Atmel in the News
- Embedded Design Blog
- Events and Webcasts
- Press Releases
- Stock Information
- SEC Filings
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Profiles
- Board of Directors
- Quality Inquiry
- Quality Handbook
- Green Packaging
- Package Material
- Environmental Information
- Quality and Environment Certificates
- RMA and FA Information
- Reliability Information
- Obsolescence Information
- FAQ Response Summary
- AVR 8- and 32-bit MCUs
- 32-bit AVR UC3 MCUs
- AVR XMEGA MCUs
- megaAVR MCUs
- tinyAVR MCUs
- Battery Management MCUs
- Automotive AVR MCUs
- SMART ARM-based MCUs
- 8051 Architecture
- Touch Solutions
- Wireless Connectivity
- Smart Energy
- Security ICs
- Digital Broadcast
- More Products
November 13, 2014Popular Development Tools from IAR Systems Support Complete Atmel | SMART MCU and MPU Portfolio
November 11, 2014Atmel Launches Next-Generation Low-power 8-bit AVR MCUs
July 31, 2014Atmel Completes Newport Media Acquisition
We'll tell you all you need to know to start evaluating and working with this product.
SAMA5 ARM Cortex-A5 MPUs» Learn More
Atmel® Xplained is a fast prototyping and evaluation platform for Atmel AVR® and Atmel | SMART ARM®-based microcontrollers (MCUs). These low-cost, easy-to-use evaluation kits are ideal for demonstrating the features and capabilities of Atmel MCUs and MPUs and can be customized with a wide range of expansion boards. Development is easy with a rich selection of example projects and code drivers provided in the Atmel Software Framework (ASF), as well as support in Atmel Studio and from third party IDEs (integrated development environments). Choose from three types of Atmel Xplained kits:
– A professional evaluation board featuring auto-identification in Atmel Studio, with an on-board debugger and standardized extension connectors.
Xplained Mini – An ultra-low-cost platform for evaluating low pin-count parts. It features an on-board debugger, access to all device pins, and auto-identification in Atmel Studio.
Xplained Ultra – An evaluation platform with access to high-speed data and external memory interfaces for Atmel | SMART microprocessors or high-end microcontrollers. Xplained – A fast prototyping and evaluation platform for Atmel 8- and 32-bit AVR and ARM-based microcontrollers.
Xplained Pro Kits
The Atmel® Xplained Pro boards offer everything you need to start designing new microcontroller-based applications in minutes.
- Easy to connect — Xplained Pro boards connect through an embedded debugger with a USB cable to a PC for programming and development.
- Easy to develop with — The boards are automatically recognized by the Atmel Studio 6 integrated development platform (IDP), so you get direct access to example projects and documentation. The Atmel Software Framework (ASF), Atmel Gallery showcase, and Atmel Spaces collaborative project environment make Studio 6 a unified way to develop, share and debug your code.
- Easy to extend — Hardware extension boards called XPRO wings provide easy access to all functions of the MCU. The Atmel Software Framework provides a large set of software drivers and components.
Xplained Pro kits are available as:
- Evaluation kits — Low-cost kits start at $39 for evaluating MCUs and developing with example projects in the Atmel Studio IDP.
- Starter kits — Low-cost bundle of evaluation kits and extension boards, starting at $99, for rapid application prototyping and development with Atmel Studio and Atmel Software Framework.
- Extension kits — Add-on boards called XPRO wings with additional functionality, connecting to Xplained Pro kits through standardized connectors.
To utilize the Xplained Pro kits to their full potential, Atmel Studio 6.1 or later is required.
|Evaluation Kits||Add-on Boards|
Third Party Add-on Boards
The following add-on boards for the Xplained Pro family are available from 3rd party vendors.
The Atmel Xplained Mini evaluation kits are hardware platforms for evaluating the Atmel AVR microcontrollers. The evaluation kits have a debugger chip that provides seamless integration with Atmel Studio 6.2 or later. The kit provides access to the internal features of the microcontroller enabling easy integration of the device in a custom design. Xplained Mini is a family of ultra-low-cost evaluation and rapid prototyping boards for low pin-count AVR and Atmel | SMART ARM-based MCUs. The boards feature an on-board debug connection, a large prototyping area with access to all the MCU signals and footprints for an optional Arduino header for expandability. Example projects for Xplained Mini boards are provided on Atmel Spaces.
- Easy to connect — Xplained Mini boards connect through an embedded debugger chip with a USB cable to a PC for programming and development.
- Easy to develop with — The boards are automatically recognized by the Atmel Studio 6 integrated development platform (IDP), so you get direct access to example projects and documentation.
- Evaluation kits — Low-cost kits start at $8.88 for evaluating MCUs and developing with example projects in the Atmel Studio IDP.
Atmel Studio 6.2 or later is required to utilize the Xplained Mini boards to their full potential.
The Atmel Xplained Ultra boards offer everything needed to start designing new applications using an Atmel | SMART Microprocessor, or high-end Microcontroller. These boards are designed to let you work directly with the high-speed data and external memory interfaces available on these parts, and are expandable using Standard Xplained PRO wing boards and/or standard Arduino DUE style connector.”
A wide range of add-on boards are available including inertial, pressure, and temperature sensors, ZigBee® RF, and cryptographic authentication. Due to difference in features such as pin count or memory size, some add-on boards may not work with all Xplained kits. The table below summarizes recommended combinations.