- Knowledge Base
- Request Technical Support
- Customer Service
- Samples Request
- Obsolescence Information
- Events and Webcasts
- Press Releases
- Stock Information
- SEC Filings
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Profiles
- Board of Directors
- Quality Inquiry
- Quality Handbook
- Green Packaging
- Package Material
- Environmental Information
- Quality and Environment Certificates
- RMA and FA Information
- Reliability Information
- Obsolescence Information
- FAQ Response Summary
- Touch Solutions
- Wireless Connectivity
- Smart Energy
- Power Line Communications
- Wireless Communications
- Security ICs
- Digital Broadcast
- More Products
November 4, 2014Atmel Launches First Dual-band IEEE 802.15.4g-2012 Compliant Transceiver for Smart Energy and Automation Applications
November 4, 2014Atmel Launches G3-PLC-compliant Powerline Carrier Solutions for Smart Energy Applications
October 15, 2014Atmel Expands Metering Platform For Advanced Smart Energy Applications
Atmel Smart Energy Technology
Not a chip, but a Platform.
Atmel® addresses the needs of the smart energy market with application-specific, as well as standard microcontroller, microprocessor, security, memory, wireless and power-line connectivity devices. The application-specific portfolio is defined from the ground up to offer designers best-in-class feature sets and performance in various classes of equipment used in the smart grid.
Atmel Smart Metering Platform
Today’s smart meter architect demands various levels of integration depending on system architecture partitioning, project timelines, and the level of flexibility needed to address various utility and geographical requirements. The Atmel platform provides a unique multi-level architecture built around the same multi-core architecture as outlined below. Various devices integrate the building blocks of the smart meter, namely, Metrology sensing (ADC), Metrology DSP, application, communication, and security processing, as well as connectivity to home area and neighborhood area networks.
The Atmel Advantage
Atmel is well-positioned to address various requirements of smart metering systems designers and engineers with a combination of discrete as well as highly-integrated system-on-chip solutions built around the same processing platforms. This will reduce time-to-market and enable unmatched level of flexibility in addressing new requirements.
- Leading edge connectivity
- Low power 802.15.4/4g wireless devices
- Field proven, Low power PLC (PRIME)
- Best-in-class Metrology
- Dynamic range of up to 6000:1
- Security and Encryption
- Advanced security engines in system-on-chip-solutions
- Atmel CryptoAuthentication™ devices offer robust security to safeguard networked metering applications
- Integration & Flexibility
- Flexible (SW or HW) metrology
- Multi-standard Wireless and PLC solutions
- Broad MCU portfolio & tool support
- Large array of SAMD, SAM4 and SAMA5 solutions
- Best-in-class tools from Atmel, IAR, Keil
- Metering — Atmel's family of ICs for smart power meters feature the widest dynamic range in the industry as well as extremely high accuracy, helping to improve the performance of smart meters. The chips feature a dynamic range of 5000:1. This allows manufacturers to merge various types of meters currently available, such as 5(20)A, 10(40)A, 15(60)A and 20(80)A, into one standard model [5(100)A or 1(100)A]. Atmel® ICs will simplify the manufacturing process and reducing overall bill of materials.
- Power Line Communications — The Atmel® family of system-on-a-chip PLC solutions is designed for narrow-band communications using the wall-voltage electric grid. Backed by our deep expertise in PLC modem technology and extensive collaboration with utilities and metering OEMs, we’ve created solutions with an unprecedented level of integration and performance.
- Wireless Communications — Atmel transceivers deliver the best RF link budget with the industry’s lowest power consumption. What’s more, Atmel offers the most feature-rich IEEE 802.15.4-compliant transceiver family available. Our transceivers support both regional sub-1GHz frequencies, as well as the global 2.4GHz frequency bands.